Friday, July 23, 2010

Life back at 69 Airdrie

Mom is settling into life at home, and Dad is sorting out the various elements of home care coming and going. Mom goes to Sunnybrook twice a week to have blood work done; and once they get the results, they decide if she gets a blood transfusion and platelet transfusion or one or none. There seems to be some subtle improvements with her hemoglobin, and she hasn't needed as many platelet transfusions as when she was in the hospital; but it's not clear exactly what that means long term. Her white blood cell counts are still critical, but have been either stable or slightly up. We'll take the ups, even if they're slight though! Good news from her Oncologist who, based on the MRI, feels that the brain tumor responded to the treatment and will hopefully stay "in check" for as long as possible. The focus continues to be monitoring the blood levels as her bone marrow is still not recovered from the reaction to the chemotherapy which landed her in hospital for nearly five weeks. Basically the theme is resting and regaining strength. Mom would have been tired from the treatments themselves, but she has the bone marrow issue plus recovering from being in hospital for so long. This explains her extreme fatigue. However, this week I have noticed a change in her strength. It will be a slow process, but at least there is some movement. We hope that with more time, she will start to be able to do the stairs at home.
Thanks again so much for all the cards. It's really amazing to see how much support Mom has, and although we can always feel the positive energy from the huge circle of friends and family, the physical manifestation into all the cards Mom gets is so inspiring.

1 comment:

  1. I send you strength, dear Liz, I hope you can feel it coming your way! All my positive energies are sent to you. I see you in the perfection that is you and am heartened by the good news Karen shares. I hope you get to feel the gentle summer breezes on your cheek...it is the kiss I send. I send hugs too and wish you much love. Ellen

    ReplyDelete